Is It Time to Replace Your Mattress? Survey Shows It's Often the Last Considered Option for A Better Night's Sleep
There are a ton of old myths out there about when to replace a mattress and what type is best you may remember the old adages that "the firmer mattress the better for a healthy back" or the promoted replacement timeline of "replace every 8." With all this info floating around, it's often good to look at what customers are actually thinking on the topic and if recommendations are sinking in. Consumer research from the Better Sleep Council reveals that many consumers don't come to the decision to replace their current mattress on a whim.
To quote Doreen, one of the respondents in the Better Sleep Council's data, she noted that, "One day I mentioned to a friend I was waking up every day with a sore back. She asked how old my mattress was and when I told her it was about 10 years old, she said that was my problem".
- 91% of the respondents agreed that a good mattress is fundamental for health and well-being.
- 68% of women agreed more than men (51%).
- 61% of consumers believed that replacing mattress is a good move.
- 68% of the respondents mentioned that they replaced their mattresses after 10 years or less.
- 51% of mentioned they didn’t see the urgency to replace or delayed.
Most of the respondents mentioned some signs indicating when to replace any mattress. Here’s a summary of signs, when, and why.
1. Stiffness and Soreness: Most respondents stated that medium-firm foam mattresses help in reducing excruciating low-back pain. They also recommended testing a variety of mattresses before choosing a particular brand. Inadequate sleep causes severe back pain. It's advisable to replace your mattress if you experience persistent stiffness and soreness each morning. Typically, back pain worsens when an individual wake up, but dissipates after they work for a while.
2. Asthma and Allergies: Allergy usually occurs when your body reacts to a particular substance including pollen. If you can't get a clear explanation to persistent allergies and asthma attacks, they might be caused by dust in your mattress. Dust accumulates in mattresses after some time. Flip, steam or vacuum your mattress to manage symptoms. However, if the condition persists, purchase a new mattress.
3. Rapid Weight Gain or Weight Loss: Some participants mentioned that rapid weight loss or weight gain affects the efficiency of mattresses. Typically, weight gain may result from excessive or inadequate sleep. If not managed, weight can tear and wear different elements in your mattress such as cushioning, foam and springs. That explains why it's advisable to replace mattresses after getting married to support additional weight.
4. Aging Mattress: Standard mattresses have an average lifespan of approximately 8 to 10 years according to Better Sleep Council. However, that depends on the brand, manufacturer, and sleeping style. Specific mattresses such as Memory Foam, Air Beds, and Latex last longer. Your mattress may wear faster than stipulated by the manufacturer with increased weight. Prolonged wear and tear dramatically reduce mattress lifespan. Generally, it's advisable to replace your mattress if it is more than seven years.
5. Saggy Mattress: Participants cited that dents may occur in mattress resembling your body shape. Dents are signs to replace the mattress. Sagging is typical in all beds. You can see it at the edges or in your usual sleeping area. Also, the springs in your mattress can break and sag.
6. Poor Sleeping Posture: An excellent mattress offers proper alignment and support to your spine when sleeping. Naturally, your spine should form an S curve when you lie on the bed. If your mattress doesn't align it correctly, it may be exaggerated or flattened. A good pillow helps in supporting your spine.
7. Discomfort: An excellent mattress offers comfort during sleep. The comfort layers in its upper portion should provide pressure relief and support. Usually, the comfort layers collapse after prolonged use causing body aches and discomfort. Are you unable to sleep well? It may be a sign get a high-quality mattress from BedPillows.com. We are an online mattress retailer serving the entire US. Call us at 877-209-0034 or order online now.